Friday, May 27, 2011

Thirsty Thursday

Here I am, writing the day afterward, trying to remember what exactly happened yesterday. It seems too soon that the days are beginning to blur together.  I guess it is just THAT good… 

OH yes.  It all began with my cappuccino with chocolate powder… Even though the morning was already permeating me with warmth, a hot coffee accentuated the joy of the morning.  Class at 8:30 consisted of learning about the evaluation and shaping of stone elements.  It was unbelievable how ingenious people were over 2,000 years ago in order to achieve the precision of carving.

LUNCHTIME is always the highlight of the day.  I heated up last night’s pasta in a large pan on our gas stove, but stirring it constantly reduced the size of the noodles (like, penne noodles) to little strips.  It was alright though, with grated fresh cheese…. Mmmm.  In order to comply with the city-wide siesta time, I tried to take a nap after lunch.  At the time, I didn’t think I fell asleep, but looking back, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have a damp pillow corner unless I was unconscious.  Haha!

Back to school. We had divided up into 2 groups: one that would be working on surveying for the first 2 weeks, and one that would be working on the Porta Burgis.  After 2 weeks, apparently a little switcharoo happens.  I am surveying to begin with, so we learned about those tools/equipment, and did a little practice measuring of our classroom.  Funny how you have to be able to triangulate the measurement of each element in a room based on a refererence line or grid.  Not to brag, but Susan and I rocked it, even though all the measurements were in centimeters.  Woot!

Rain.  Gotta keep up with tradition.

Best cappuccino yet! :D

Our centimeter ruler

Some cool girls here... Olivia and ... Person whose name I don't remember... and me in mid-blink.  haha
GROUP POTLUCK!!!! 8:30 began what was to be a giant party.  Susan and I were thinking, ahhh a glass of wine and dinner, then an early bedtime!  But it was not to be.  Someone brought speakers, a ton of people showed up, and wine bottles appeared out of nowhere.  Lots of delicious food: eggplant parmesan, cookies, salad, crepes with nutella, risotto, etc etc etc.  It was fabulous.  We have a great group of people.  I love it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment