Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Barcelona to Munich


June 28, 2011

Early morning: 7:30.  Bleck.  Everything in our hostel, the Melon District, was white.  Everything.  It was a little unnerving in the morning, all that bright light meeting the eyes.  David was freaking out, because the reservation of the Audi was being held up by credit card companies, and by the time we had figured out a plan of action, we had to somehow get our way to the Barcelona airport.  Instant coffee and some kind of fruity bread held me over while we worked our way around the subway system.  Let me tell you, Barcelona might be a sweet place, but the subway system is like a maze. No clear directions, up one exit, down another entrance 2 blocks away… man alive.  With less than two hours until our flight was supposed to leave, we still had no idea how to get there.  It worked out just fine though.  We got to the airport about an hour before it left, which gave us time to spend about 12 euros on a sandwich, a donut and a bottle of juice.  Aeroporto extortion.  No bueno.  But the architecture was bueno.
the airline that lost David's baggage

Twix is everywhere! YUMMMMM!!! haven't had one in YEARS.

too bad i am terrible at sudoku and cannot speak german...

Schweet.



Our flight on AirBerlin took us to Dusseldorf, Germany, which is kind of in the northwest region of the country.  Only, our plane sat on the ground in Barcelona for about 2 hours, much of which I don’t remember, as I was completely passed out.  It made us late for our connection to Munich, but they re-routed us and we arrived in Munich around 5 pm.  I picked up my bag from baggage claim, and we waited for Davids until the belt stopped turning.  It never arrived, and we ended up leaving for our hotel, the Golden Leaf.  I find it very interesting that you can never really get to your destination from the airport without at least 45 minutes of travel time, no matter what city you are in.  We got off the metra, and were immediately visually accosted by 8 million bicyclists.  Not much of an exaggeration.  These Germans love their bicycles.  I rolled/dragged my bag down the stone sidewalk, and I’m positive you could hear my clackity clackiness from a block away.  We stopped at an outdoor café to make sure we were going the right direction, and as soon as we said “excuse me”, the table of germans started laughing.  My theory is as follows:  they could hear us obnoxious Americans coming, and placed a bet that we would stop to ask for directions.  I think that would totally explain the looks and the chuckles that we received.  Anyway, we made it to our hotel, got internet and had dinner at a nice little Italian restaurant.  I had lasagna – well, kind of.  It was basically a few pieces of pasta and some meat with about 5 lbs of cheese.  I prepared myself for an even lumpier body than usual.   But it doesn’t matter, because I AM ON VACATION! YESHHHHH!!!!

Try to be happy, brothermine.

because I AM!
Let’s just say that after a little bit of angry birds, I was passed out.  Travel really takes it out of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment