Monday, July 11, 2011

Florence - also the city that you wait in line for....... EVER!

July 10, 2011

NO time for sleep this morning – I was DEFINITELY planning on getting my free breakfast and checked out of the hostel by 10 so that we could go on the free walking tour.  My eggs, bacon, toast and orange juice was not quite satisfying, but it filled the stomach as I frantically searched the internet for hostels in Rome for the night.  I gave up and asked Susan to make the reservations – which she kindly did.
right outside the gelateria artigonale (ummm.... i think that is how it spelled?)

The tour took us so some places we had already been, but it was still very informative and interesting to go on, even though the heat was really start to kick in for the day.  The nice tour guide stopped at a gelateria that made their own gelato, and even invented some flavors.  It was well-priced and delicious… of course. 
YUMMY al mascarpone!!!

When the tour ended, Susan and I headed to the Duomo, and waited about 45 minutes to get into the church.  We were planning on climbing the famous dome, but when we got in, it was, of course, closed.  Bummer.  It wasn’t an impressive church – our standards are now extremely high – so we instead climbed the bell tower next door – all 414 steps of it.  I’m pretty sure the risers were about an inch higher than code too, soooo…. That’s  a lot of vertical distance.  It was worth it.


Duomo

"WOOOOOOOOOPAAAAAAAA!!!!" (pretty sure that's greek, but whatever!)

Top of the Duomo and the rest of the city, viewed from the bell tower.

Train Station

cute little windows in the tower

Climbed them ALL.

Coming down was the most exciting part.  So was trying to stay in the shade and stopping at scarf stores and the famous CONAD for some snacks as we made our way to Galleria dell ‘Accademia where Michelangelo’s David was housed. 
Trying to find the Museum Accademia...

We arrived, and saw a short line.  Little did we know that even though the line was short, we were going to be there for almost 2 hours before we were allowed inside.  I think it was worth it though.  There was a Lorenzo Bartolini expo going on, who was an incredible sculptor.  The detail he put into his busts and statues was unbelievable – so was the number of  pieces that he formed in his lifetime.  Definitely a talented guy.  And of course, the famous David statue was pretty monstrous.  I also learned how artists made and gilded panels back in the day.  I believe it was worth my 10 euro. 
Vendor feeding his pupster some gelato. <3

The only "decent" photo of Michelangelo's David that can be had.
Then we wandered about through the streets, avoiding most vendors – they are out to cheat you, I’m telling you!  A certain type of dress that was advertised as 10 euro, the guy told me was 13.  Fine.  I’m not buying it.   I stopped at one, liked a ring, asked how much it was – 18 euro he said. “Forget it”, I thought, and walked on.  3 stalls down, I found and bought the same exact ring for 3 euros, still, I’m sure, severely inflated from what the vendor paid for it.  I still liked it. 

Back at the hostel, we looked up beaches for the next day and decided on one 1.5 hours away from the center of Rome.  The closer ones are gross and polluted, apparently, since the Tiber River runs out to the ocean. As for now, though, I am just looking forward to a beach tomorrow, some Vatican action on Tuesday, and some poolside paradise at our hotel in Madrid on Wednesday before the long trip across the Atlantic.  It will be good to be home, but I’m definitely packin’ the rest in before we leave!  WOOT WOOT!

2 comments:

  1. Were you taking a picture of the dog or the Vendor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your job as a Dad is to give me grief about anything you possibly can. lol and I was taking a picture of the whole scene - not just one thing in particular. :)

    ReplyDelete