Monday, July 11, 2011

Florence - the city of wealth, thanks to the Medici family.


July 9, 2011

After going to bed at 2, waking up at 9:30, even for free breakfast, was unthinkable.  In my half-conscious state, I thought to myself “I am on VACATION!  I don’t have to be tired if I don’t want to.  It is hot out, and I am going to sleep in!!!!”  To which I responded to myself, “yes indeed, Cassie.  You are totally right.”  So that is exactly what I did.  Paul Mertz was coming into town for a couple hours before he left for Germany, so Susan hung out with him while I took my time waking up, chilling, getting on the computer, and doing what I pleased until almost 2pm. 

We sent Paul off to the airport and proceeded to walk through the tourist areas of Florence, stopping in and random shops, luring us in with their big “SALE” and “-50%” signs.  We went to Palazzo Vecchio, a Palace mostly occupied by the richest family in the city – the Medici’s and and random important catholic dudes – A pope at one point, I think.  There were many interesting features in the building; rooms decorated to depict certain stories, a map room with a HUGE globe in the center and secret doors all around, elaborate coffered ceilings, legit bathroom sinks in rooms – complete with faucets and drainage, and even toilets.  I’m telling you, this was very unusual for the times that this palace was built – I think around the 1400’s?
florence duomo

_______(his name is escaping me at the moment) holding medusa's head, I believe

Ceiling in Palazzo Vecchio

map room, complete with globe.  Those panels with the maps on them have "secret" doors to random stuff.

A bathroom?  halfway up the wall?  really?
The trek across the Ponte Vecchio (the main bridge in the city, complete with shops, mostly jewelry and houses on it!) was hot, but we finally found some gelato and proceeded to Piazza Dei Pitti, a HUGE Palace with gardens in the back.  Well, “gardens” may be a little exaggerating, as it was basically mowed lawns, hills, trimmed trees, and strategically placed fountains.  Regardless, Susan and I flopped down in the shade – she slept on the bench and I read a book on the grass.  It was one of most pleasurable things we could have done on such a hot day.  After about 1.5 hours of chilling, we moved on to explore the gardens a little bit, and then back into town for a dinner of pasta, seafood and people-watching.

View of the river from Ponte Vecchio

Of course, my saturday would not be complete without an Italian wedding
Lady Liberty - esque

small stone child swimming in fountain pond.  hm

love the shadow of this railing

What am I going to do without my The' Pesca and Pesto Pasta?????
After that, I was very chill, and was boring on a Saturday night – just went back to the hostel, updated my blog with photos, and finished my book.  It was actually quite satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment