Why is my alarm going off? Oh… it’s 9 am. Wait. It’s still dark outside. My phone must be wrong….. turn OFF. Next thing I know, it’s 11:30 and the normally bright window has been closed this whole time. I lost 2 and a half hours sleeping. Bummer. It’s ok…. Sleeping is a good thing, and most of you who know me are aware of my love of sleep.
Doorbell rings, and Olivia walks in. 10 minutes later, Nikki shows up. 10 minutes after that, the Pauls show up. It’s just a regular Americani San Gemini party… at our apartment. We all meet up for a pizzeria lunch later, and continue the party at the schoolroom, Piazza Vecchio. We all watched a movie, and Susan booked our hostels beginning when we meet up in Munich. Then comes some half-hearted packing, followed by a historical tour of San Gemini. Kinda late to do it, but hey…
 |
| Pinapple and Strawberry gelato... YUMMMM |
We began with the Roman cisterns – super dark and kinda ultra creepy, but really cool looking…
 |
| our "tour guide" and part of the cistern |
Remains of an old Roman domus – the mosaics on the floor were amazing. This site has been turned into a garden off of a large house. Beautiful.
 |
| mosaics on the floor must have taken FOREVER! |
Then Bar Paretti for dinner – appetizer, bruschetta and meloncello to drink. Have I talked about limoncello yet? It is pretty much a lemon liquor, and is absolutely delicious. It is very popular here, and I’m pretty sure I’m going to bring some back. However, I experienced a new kind this evening – meloncello. It’s like cantaloupe juice – thick, cold and fruity. THIS, for SURE I am bringing back to the United States.
 |
| A fresco in San Gemini's Duomo - complements of the Santa Croce Family. |
 |
| Beautiful view on the balcony of the Duomo |
 |
| San Gemini is known for it's mineral water - apparently supposed to be healthy and healing? what? |
 |
| One of the churches in San Gemini |
 |
| MELONCELLO!!!!! YUMMMMMMMMM!!!!! |
The final event of the evening was a trip down the hill to a coffee/gelateria/bar with some of my group to get a gelato from the award-winning café. I had a pineapple and mixed passion fruit treat, and all of us ate in sobered silence; some of us were tired, and others just thinking that this was our last event together. Tears were held back as we did not say goodbye, but rather “until we meet again”. We have had some truly fun times together.
Now I am just trying to remember everything I have to do before I leave this small town tomorrow. Reality is hitting me – it’s my last night in this place and I do not feel ready to leave this beautiful place yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment