Friday, June 24, 2011

Rome to VALENCIA, SPAIN!

(Pictures to come - internet is being ridiculous again... :(  )
Boy oh boy, a lot to do today.  First things first though: shower.  Then pack stuff I would need for European travel in the big bag and miscellaneous stuff in a small bag to be left in Rome with one of my friends.  Then internet to collect myself together for necessary information for the day.  Trek back to the room, pick up my small bag and get to the tabacchi shop for a bus ticket (have I mentioned that tabacchi shops are like the general store here?  You get EVERYTHING there!  Well, not really, but kinda!).  Then to Roma Termini to catch the bus.  Check.  Hmmm…. Now where to get off in Trastevere?  Ah yes – right across the river.  I waited in a Piazza S. Maria at the fountain for Victor, who was kind enough to come down and pick up my bag and keep it while I travel around. 
Piazza S. Maria Fountain

coffee and pastry.  YES.


Next on the list: COFFEE AND PASTRY.  MMMMM good.  Kind of like an apple pie… in a pastry.  Back to the hotel to pick up Susan.  We had 2 hours before she had to leave for the airport, so naturally we walked around.  The receptionist at the hotel said the American Embassy was in Piazza Balogna, so we walked 20 minutes there, only to discover that the British Embassy was there, and that the American Embassy was in Spagna, the opposite direction.  Oh well, I guess those U.S. Marines just missed out on Susan and me.  Haha :-D 
No U.S Embassy?  bummer...

Down to the subway to get back to Roma Termini, and dude, this subway was legit ghetto.  Graffiti was EVERYWHERE.  I kept an extra eye on my satchel.  Yes, a satchel.  Not a purse, not quite a fanny pack, but a satchel.  Moving on…
GHETTO
We stopped at a random store on the way back to the hotel to pick up some limoncello and wine for the girls in London, then proceeded back to the hotel where Susan and I said ginger goodbyes – walking around Rome in almost 90 degree weather produces sweaty girls.  Gross.  She walked back to Roma Termini and I jumped on the internet.  Only, I got free internet from the nice hotel employees because I had gotten kicked off the internet earlier.  They were so nice at Hotel Papavero II – mainly old Italian men and young Romanian women.  Go figure.  2 hours of internet goes fast.
Leaving Hotel Papavero II

Back to Roma Termini for the 4th time that day, and the schedule didn’t have the bin (track number) posted until 7 minutes before it was supposed to leave.  Of course it was a 10 minute walk.  Fortunately, I made it in 6 minutes, running down the way like a maniac, and flopping down next to a woman and beginning my Mr. Panino sandwich as the Leonardo Express left the station. 
Termini Station

I thought all my troubles were over, but I was yet to face the biggest moment of panic when I arrived and was almost checked in.  The cold customer service Iberia ladies must have had a terrible day.  Apparently my reservation was under Cassie Burgess, not Cassandra Burgess like it said on my passport.  I showed her things of mine that all said Cassandra Burgess, but she grumpily insisted that it was not the same person, and I had to go change the name on my ticket.  Dollar and Euro signs filled my vision, consequently filling me with panic.  I went to the ticket office, and talked to a nice man, explaining the situation and showing him the email I received from the airline, offered the credit card I used to pay for the ticket, etc etc…  He changed the name without charging me.  His help made me barely able to face those crazy Iberia women again, but I made it through them, without falling to pieces.  I went outside by the fountain to chill and collect my wits.  Through security – I beeped of course, so I got a body search.  No big deal.  At least this Italian woman was nice.  A shop called “Good Buy Roma” made my day when I bought a nice bottle of limoncello, which has yet to be determined if it is going to be opened before I get to Spain tonight or not.  This song “Never Let You Go” by Jakaranda sounds like a good song for a little sip of limoncello….. but, so far, no…. but it’s so good!  I might have to hide this from the bro getting his hands on it. :-D
Rome Airport Fountain


David met me at the airport

David and I in our apartment

View from one of our many windows

No comments:

Post a Comment